Fashion with a purpose
Who We Are
Welcome to Curate, a carefully curated collection of sustainable and ethical clothing from brands and designers with earth- and people-friendly production practices.
As we move into a new decade, we're determined to provide a place for people to shop for sustainable and ethical clothing and goods. We’re committed to taking care of the world we live in and improving our impact on the environment.
At Curate, we want you to become the curator of your wardrobe. Embrace your style and build your closet with responsible clothing that you’ll wear and love for years to come. By shopping for sustainable and ethical clothing, you can help reduce the negative effects of the fast fashion industry, like excess fabric waste, water pollution and unethical working conditions.
Through our carefully curated items, you can shop sustainable and ethical apparel, all in one place.
In an effort to develop a more responsible and eco-friendly way to shop, we're dedicated solely to brands that share our mission. Our core pillars are sustainable practices and materials, ethical working conditions and giving back to the environment.
We make sure that all of the brands that we partner with are committed to making a positive impact on the environment.
Here are some of the ways that our brand partners implement sustainable and ethical practices
- Produce garments using recycled materials and deadstock or upcycled fabrics
- Use compostable and biodegradable fabrics
- Use eco-friendly fabrics like Ecovero and Tencel
- Make garments from recycled PET bottles
- Source gold from sustainable, recycled batches
- Reduce water usage
- Recycle and clean water before reintroducing the water to drain systems
- Eliminate use of toxic chemicals and dyes
- Hand dye garments with plants
- Garments are hand-drawn and handmade to order
- Produce in small batches to minimize waste
- Utilize a low waste design process
- Limit fabric waste
- Produce items via a pre-order system to avoid overproduction
- Utilize 3D digital design to reduce sampling and fabric waste
- Eliminate the use of animal byproducts like fur and leather
- Diminish the use of plastics
- Reduce energy consumption
- Produce garments in a wind-powered factory
- Use 100% Certified Organic Cotton
- Pay garment workers living and fair wages
- Provide clean and safe working facilities
- Reduce and/or offset their carbon emissions
- Use recycled packaging materials
- Donate to organizations that support green initiatives
MEET THE FOUNDER
Juliana Diez Barroso Pérez
A bilingual Mexican-American, Juliana was born and raised on the border of Texas and Mexico in a small town called Laredo. With an artist mother and an entrepreneurial father, Juliana always found herself intertwining the two as a child and into early adulthood. She holds a master’s degree in Business Analytics from Southern Methodist University and a bachelor’s degree in Public Relations from the University of Texas at Austin, where she took a deep dive into learning more about sustainability and the impact of human behavior on the environment and how to use communications and public relations to raise awareness to the public.
While working in advertising post-grad, Juliana implemented some eco-friendly practices into her lifestyle but still felt like it wasn’t enough. That’s when she realized there was another major aspect of everyday life she hadn’t modified--her wardrobe. Learning more about the fast fashion industry’s widespread unethical labor and harmful environmental practices, she set out to find responsible and eco-conscious brands, but quickly realized how difficult it was to find a central place to buy eco-friendly clothing that suited her style and price point. And that’s when the idea for Curate was born.
In September of 2020, Juliana took her passion for sustainability, fashion, and business and founded Curate, an online boutique with a mission to carry sustainable and ethical brands that make stylish, fun, feminine, and reasonably priced clothing. She researches and hand-selects brands that adhere to her core pillars: ethical labor and sustainable manufacturing practices. With Curate, Juliana wants to not only raise awareness about the negative impacts of the fast fashion industry, but to encourage fashion consumers to build and curate their wardrobe with beautiful, unique, and high-quality pieces that are made with care for people and our planet.